Monday, December 22, 2008

My New Favorite: Live Band Karaoke

I may be the last gal in Chicago to discover live band karaoke on Sunday nights at Stanley's, but I am certainly not the least.
It took me all night, but I worked up the nerve (thanks to the support of best friend Lisa ) to sing Blondie's "One Way of Another."

The best part: the band is a real effing band! Rhythm section, base, guitar and keyboard. To top it off, the band members double as back-up singers.

There were at least 2 really good acts, complete with rock stylings and crowd-pleasing dance moves. I have no delusions of grandeur; while my vocals were decent, I stood up there like a log. I think my most creative move consisted of a nervous hip-swaggle.


Lesson learned: like the nerd that I am, I will practice lyrics and, that's right, dance moves. Alone. In front of a mirror. I will practice until my act reaches the heights of perfection, and then I will return to Stanley's and blow 'em all away.

Just kidding. I'm not that lame...(shuffles feet and avoids eye contact)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dang! If I knew you were so good, I would've taken you karaokeing, or whatever! I love that stuff. You look awesome up there!!
Helen